How do I make a Spiritual Communion?
Below are recommendations for how to make a ‘spiritual communion’ when unable to
participate in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. The recommendations can be adapted based
upon personal and family needs.
• Gather with others in your household and begin a time of prayer with the sign of the cross
• Take time to read and reflect upon the readings from Sunday Mass. You can find the readings at usccb.org
• Share prayer intentions quietly or aloud
• Pray the Lord’s Prayer
• Pray one of the following prayers of spiritual communion (see below)
• Close with the sign of the cross
An Act of Spiritual Communion by St. Alphonsus Liguori
My Jesus, I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament. I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul. Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You.